Union-Scioto School District (Unioto)
Main Office Address: 1432 Egypt Pike Chillicothe, OH 45601
Phone Number: 740-773-4102
High School Name: Unioto High School
How was the school given its name ?: Located in Union and Scioto Townships
The year this school opened: 1936
First Graduating Class: 1937 Number of Graduates: 8
School Colors: Purple and Gold School Mascot: Sherman Tanks – School is located on the site of WWI Camp Sherman.
History of the Union-Scioto School District (From the Chillicothe Gazette, 1962) The first school house in Union Township was built about 1800, at or near the log house of Mr. Joseph Clark. It was a structure with a puncheon floor and a roof of clapboards with eight-poles laid across to keep them on. The windows were made by cutting out a log for several feet on each side of the house and putting greased paper in the opening. One end of the house was almost entirely appropriated for a fireplace. The seats consisted of split slabs supported by wooden pins. In this manner the school houses were built for a number of years. A school was opened in a log cabin about a mile north of where Andersonville now stands, in 1815 or 1816, the teacher being a man by the name of Perkins. It was afterwards held in a school house on the Inghams’ farm. East of the village. A hewed log house was erected a short distance above Andersonville in 1823, and was used until the brick house in the village was erected. A school house was built at an early date where the Union Church now stands, and another where the upper part of the basin was, in 1814 or 1815, Mr. Young and Mr. Lowery were the teachers. One of the earliest schools was opened on the farm of Thomas Withgott in which Charles McCrea was one of the first teachers. The first school in the Cook neighborhood was kept in a six-cornered, round log school house, as early as 1805 or 1806. Ebeneezer Everts was one of the first school teachers there, teaching several terms. The first school organized under the School Law was the Quaker School, then kept in a hewed log school house. The one room school houses of Union and Scioto townships were abandoned at the end of the school year 1935-1936, upon the recommendation of the State Department of Education. A new district was created using the name Union-Scioto Rural School. The school became known as “Unioto”, a contractive term taken from Union and Scioto. A tax levy of 3 ½ mils voted by the district evolved the sum of $50,000 which was matched by another $50,000 from the Federal government under the Public Works Administration and numbered as Project M OH 1021 R. The building site was purchased from Mr. George Garrison, on Egypt Pike, for the sum of $2,000. Construction was started in February of 1936, and the building was occupied September 23 of the same year. DeVoss and Donaldson were the architects, McCabe and Proctor were the contractors. It was thought that colors of purple and gold were adopted at the suggestion of one of the board members whose Chillicothe class colors were purple and gold. The mascot name of “The Shermans” was later adopted when Supt. McMahon, former general in the United States Army, was superintendent of the Unioto School. Since Unioto lies just opposite the former site of WWI Camp Sherman, the suggestion of “The Shermans” was unanimously accepted by the student body. The Tank emblem became likewise a fitting symbol for the school. In May of 1937, the Unioto High School graduated its first senior class of eight members.
Known One Room School Houses: The Hurst School, Egypt Pike and Cattail Road The Roush’s School, Stone Road The Bowdle School, Morrison and Albright Roads The Andersonville School, Andersonville Road The Dunlap School, Route 104 Sulpher Lick School, near Maple Grove Hotel School at the Ross County Infirmary Polk Hollow School, Polk Hollow Road The Steel School, Belleview Hill and Plyley’s Lane Shady Grove School, Plyley’s Lane Pleasant Valley School, Pleasant Valley Frenchtown School, Frenchtown Tootle School Springbank School Bier’s Run School School Construction, Renovations 1936-2003: 1936 – School erected on Egypt Pike 1957 – New Elementary School, with an addition in 1961 1973 – Intermediate Learning Center erected 1973 – New High School 1995 – Old High school renovated for use as Junior High School 2002 – New Elementary School 2002 – New Junior High School 2002 – New additions to High School 2003 – Demolition to old Elementary School
Founder Information First School Board Members of the district: George Garrison, President George Fagnano, Vice President Leon Winget, Clerk Reed Johnson Thomas Schaeffer. Past Known Superintendents: M.A. Shepherd Robert Stillwell Clifford Schweinfurth C.L. McMahon Robert Stillwell William McPherson Charles Stephens Ralph Brown Guy DeAngelis Paul Folmer Bud Sayer Ronald Vaughn Barbara Cook Dwight Garrett Past Known High School Principals: Robert Stillwell Clifford L. Schweinfurth June Cormany (Elementary) Frank Sessions Donald Morris David Warne Steve Stirn Dwight Garrett James Osborne Notable Staff: June V. Cormany – Long time Elementary Principal Margaret Graves – History, Latin, Journalism Leroy Silvani – Coach (Baseball, Track, Basketball), Physical Education, Health Jesse Lloyd – Math, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry Donald Morris – High School Principal Clifford Schweinfurth – High School Principal Donald Neff – Baseball Coach, Drivers Education Warren Whitaker – Science, Biology, Track Coach Emily Marks – Home Economics Lodema Attaway - English Rhoda Hannan - English Jean Krebs - English Daisy Gillfillan - Cook Joanne Valentine - Music Elizabeth Umsted – Music, Art Nellie Gomsi – Spanish, English Jean Alcorn – Math Judy Hoops – English Elizabeth Stanford – Librarian Leoma Straight – Physical Education, Health Bonnie Amos – Elementary Pearl Eisnaugle – Elementary Ernest Enderle – Industrial Arts Mabel Gire – Elementary Myrtle Maddox – Elementary Ann Prickett – Elementary Ethel Simcox - Elementary Virginia Morris – Elementary Juanita Hendricks – Elementary Thelma Flynn – Elementary Bushnell McDaniels - Elementary Margaret Large – Elementary Joanna Haskins – High School Helen Castle – High School Letha Tuttle – High School John Zajdel - Band Director Carl Hollis – Custodian Earl Cormany – Bus Driver Jean Echard – Cashier Sheridan Robinson – Bus Driver Richard Cox – 6th Grade Mary Matson – Elementary Delores Mackley – Math Steve Swan – Government, Social Studies Patricia Davis – 6th Grade Cheryl Graves – Intermediate Marvine Williams – Cook Gary Adams – High School Bonnie Atwood Adams – Secretary Frank Sessions- Principal Robert Uhrig – Science Alex Mace – Science, Chemistry, Physics Dean Forcum – Occupational Work Experience William Marsh – History Diane McFadden – English Mike Shoemaker – Math, Algebra Sally Shoemaker Rathkamp – History Daniel Wade – Junior High Linda McDaniel - Guidance Office Mrs. Ralph Brown “Brownie” – Cafeteria Marie Jayne – Cafeteria Mabel Andeson – Secretary Sue Young – High School Secretary Velma Steel – Clerk of Board of Education Raymond Houser – Bus Driver and Mechanic Harry Hurtt – Bus Driver School Fight Song To the Tune of Notre Dame’s fight song Lyrics written by: Elizabeth Umsted and Helen Brown Letizia “Cheer, cheer for old UHS, Cheer for the school that we love the best. While our team is on the floor, ______________will never raise the score. We love our colors, purple and gold. Our loyal team so fearless and bold. While Unioto’s sons go marching onward to victory. Rah! Rah! Rah! School Alma Mater Lyrics written by: Elizabeth Umsted and the Girls Glee Club There's a school we'll cherish ever, By the highway side. Our love for thee will vanish never, Be our fondest pride. Chorus Many lessons she has taught us, Honor, faith and truth; Many blessings she has brought us, Glorified our youth. Chorus: Sons and daughters, sing her praises, Sing them far and wide; Sing our love for Unioto, Unioto High. Academics: 1967-1968 First school in the state to have Special Education classes for grades 1-12 Clubs: Hi-lites Newsletter 1946 Future Teachers of America 1947 Glee Club 1937 Future Homemakers of America 1937 French Club 1941 Future Farmers of America 1937 Latin Club 1942 Hi-Y 1937 Quill and Scroll 1944 Boosters Club 1947 Science Club 1957 Junior Classical League 1956 Spanish Club 1965 Library Audio Visual Club 1972 Fellowship of Christian Athletes 1972 National Honor Society 1956 Occupational Work Experience Leviathan Society Bands: Orchestra 1936 First Band under the Mrs. Hendrick 1945 German Band 1950 Sports Boys: Football 1962 Basketball 1936-37 Baseball 1949 Softball 1948 Track 1937 Golf 1963 Soccer 1985 Tennis 1962 Girls: Basketball 1977 Softball 1948 Track 1937 Soccer 2002 Tennis 1976 Cheer Team 1937 Volleyball 1938